SUNSHINE COAST BUS BOOST
15th May 2023
• New bus route coming to Nirimba
• Later evening buses on routes 607 and 610
• Increased bus frequency to improve train connections at Landsborough
• Routes 631 and 622 extended to service new areas
A major shakeup is on the way for Sunshine Coast residents will a new bus service improvements on their way.
The package includes a new bus route, more frequent and later running services, and the extension of routes into new growing areas.
A new 608 route will be part of the package which will be introduced on Monday, June 5.
The service will connect Caloundra and Nirimba via Baringa, busses will operate seven days a week with a service every 60 minutes.
A further eight new bus stops are opening in Baringa and Nirimba as part of the rollout for the new route.
The improvements were funded as part of a $27.2m uplift in bus services for high priority growth areas in the 2022-23 Queensland Budget.
Quotes attributable to the Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey:
"The Palaszczuk Government is making record investments into better transport on the Sunshine Coast.
"This package of bus improvements will boost late night services across the region with two routes adding extra later evening services,"
"The new route 608 will travel between Caloundra and Nirimba, bringing buses into the growing area for the first time as part of continued public transport improvements we've been making into developing areas of the Sunshine Coast,"
"We’re also delivering major projects like the $663 million Caboolture to Steve Irwin Way Bruce Highway upgrade, the $301 million Mons and Maroochydore Roads interchange upgrade on the Bruce Highway, the $550 million Beerburrum to Nambour rail upgrade, and the $320 million Mooloolah River Interchange upgrade on the Sunshine Motorway.
Quotes attributable to the member for Caloundra Jason Hunt:
"By travelling along a portion of the existing route 606 (Caloundra – Baringa), this new route will bring increased bus frequency, with a bus running every 30 minutes along Aura Boulevard and Bellavista Boulevard in Baringa and Caloundra West.
"Route 615 (Maroochydore – Landsborough via University) will have increased frequency, bringing improved train connections at Landsborough."
"Routes 607 (Caloundra to University via Sunshine Coast University Hospital and Kawana), and 610 (Nambour to Maroochydore via Kunda Park) will run later services to support the evening economy, with route 607 also supporting staff and student travel to and from Sunshine Coast University Hospital and University of the Sunshine Coast.
Quotes attributable to the member for Nicklin Robert Skelton:
"Two routes will be extended: Route 631 (Noosa to Nambour via Cooroy and Eumundi) will run to The Ginger Factory with Sunshine Coast Council funding support whilst route 622 (Maroochydore – Noosa Junction via Airport and Coolum) will be extended into The Avenue, along Ridges Boulevard and Ridgeview Drive, Peregian Springs.
“Later services in Nambour will provide further support for the Special Entertainment Precinct status, allowing customers, workers and businesses to enjoy the nightlife without having to worry about driving home.”
"This package of bus improvements will help make public transport an option for more residents and a more inviting option for existing customers seeking greater frequency.”
Summary of route changes:
• 605 – Landsborough bus stop moved to brand new interchange – no timetable changes;
• 606 – timetable changes to align services to provide services every 30 minutes, in tandem with new route 608;
• 607 – one later trip added in both directions every evening;
• 608 – new route Caloundra to Nirimba via Baringa, increasing Aura Bvd/Bellavista Bvd frequency to every 30 minutes (in tandem with route 606);
• 610 – one later trip (depart Nambour 10.20pm weekdays, 9.20pm weekends and public holidays);
• 612 – timetable change to speed up journey time;
• 615 – additional trips to improve frequency and train connections at Landsborough. New bus stop location at Landsborough train station. Timetable change;
• 620 – first three weekday trips extended to start at Maroochydore station;
• 622 – route extension to service new area south of The Avenue, along Ridges Bvd and Ridgeview Drive – seven new bus stops. New timetable to better reflect actual journey time;
• 631 – route extension to include The Ginger Factory in Yandina. One new bus stop.
The latest changes will complement service improvements delivered across multiple routes on the Sunshine Coast in July and November last year.
Head online to the Translink website at https://translink.com.au/ or call 13 12 30 for public transport information or to plan your journey.